Thursday, April 23, 2009

Justifying the Wicked

That title sounds like it would be a bad thing to do right?


Proverbs 17:15 15 He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD.

That actually isn't the verse where I first found the justifying the wicked thing...


Romans 4:5 5 However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

These are a couple of interesting verses to compare... :) I think I understand the difference though. Proverbs is talking about man justifying the wicked, and Romans is talking about God who justifies the wicked. So the difference is that man can't justify the wicked in the way that God can. Jesus has the right to do so, not because he is God and can excuse wickedness if he feels like it, but he can justify because he paid the price for the wickedness. If we as humans try to justify the wicked we are only saying sin is acceptable. actually even worse. We are saying it is righteous. I didn't mean for this to get into the gay marriage deal, but that just came to mind. To say that it is OK, to make it righteous, is an abomination to the Lord. We can't justify sin. We don't have the authority or the capability to do so. When we justify sin, we glorify sin... not cool... Wow, where would we be without a God that loves us, so much that he paid the price for our sins, so that we can stand before him righteous! I mean, I can't imagine not having that hope, that faith that assures me that I am going to be OK. I am thankful that I, though in and of myself am wicked, stand justified before God today!

No comments:

Post a Comment