Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Last Stand of the Flesh

I was reading in Mark 14 today and I noticed the prayer at Gethsemane. This will kind of tie into my Monday post as well. This is where Jesus prays not my will but yours be done. This is perhaps the most vulnerable and human that we see Jesus in all of his ministry, other than perhaps on the cross. He knows that death is coming, and every part of his humanness is fighting it. Jesus says:

Mark 14:33-36 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch." 35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

What an amazing passage! Jesus' desire does not line up with the will of his father, yet Jesus realizes this, and saves the prayer by ending with "not what I will, but what you will" He suppresses the desires of his flesh at the end of the prayer, as his spirit gains victory over the situation. It was the final stand of the flesh. Satan's most powerful attack on Jesus, because from this point forward the decision was made and their was no negotiating. Oh, how I pray that my spirit will gain victory over my flesh today! Not my will, but your will father!

No comments:

Post a Comment