Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not far from the Kingdom of God

I was reading in Mark chapter 12 today and verses 28-34 caught my attention. One of the teachers of the law asked Jesus what the greatest command was. Jesus replies and says to love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind. and the second is love your neighbor as yourself.
The teacher of the laws response in verses 32 and 33:

Mark 12:32-33 "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

The interesting part is Jesus responds back and says "you are not far from the kingdom of God" This man was on the verge of something great. He was almost there! What was lacking? had he chosen to follow Jesus yet? did he need to apply what he had just learned? It seems that he had a great revelation. like everything that he had studied just made sense, after Jesus said that! In the other book that I am reading on prayer it talks about how we need to grow to the point of loving Jesus deeply. I can remember being thankful that he had forgiven my sins, then developing friendship has he helped me overcome shortcomings in my life, and as our relationship grows deeper as I worship him and he guides me, and works in me, I love him more and more. I'm anxious to walk in his kingdom today!

No comments:

Post a Comment